Monday 10 November 2008

Tomorrow's News, Tomorrow's Journalists


A blog forum on www.journalism.co.uk has posed the question, 'what would you do if you were given a million dollars to save journalism?'

So, if a million dollars magically came my way...

I would swiftly hand it over to my mate Chris, a mathematical genius and professional poker player. Under strict instructions not to get distracted or cocky, he would then invest the wonga in Lady Luck and make a sum of money large enough to actually make a difference to this industry.

If Chris came up trumps (which he would, he's a decent chap) and made me a substantial pot of money, I would:

a) Increase the salaries of trainees/entry level reporters working for regional newspapers as £14,000 is NOT enough for anyone who wishes to be fed, clothed and alcoholed.

b) Give money to influential publications who regularly take on interns. Rather than offering 'travel expenses' as if pulling a rabbit out of a hat, these publications could then actually pay interns for their labour, even if it's minimum wage. A little goes a long way, especially when you have mastered the art of living off a tenner a week as an impoverished student.

c) Invest in training within publications to make sure all staff are switched on to digital media and the importance of blogs and the online community.

d) Set up mentoring programmes so that experienced and established journalists can offer advice, support and even training to young graduates and students.

Ok so there is a slight bias emerging here in terms of helping those at the bottom of the food chain such as myself but we are the future of journalism and are therefore highly deserving!

With any remaining money I would buy myself a mac laptop since a recent job application I filled in cited ownership of one as a vital job requirement.

There is a pleasing symmetry to this injustice: I have no laptop, so can't get the job...I have no job, so can't get the laptop. Catch 22, journalism stylee!

1 comment:

rosie said...

sounds somewhat like the weekly celeb mag i did experience on although my experience wasn't so bad hmmmm i wonder....